WHY IS KEEPING YOURSELF MOTIVATED SUCH HARD WORK?
We live in a busy world with so many distractions, making it easier for us to get sidelined and lose track of what is important to us. We lose sight of what we want and what we should be doing . If there are a lot of distractions that keep you from doing what you need to be doing, then you need to make some changes.
WHAT DOES SELF-MOTIVATION MEAN?
Remez Sasson, founder and owner of Success Consciousness: Mental Tools for a Great Life, says the following about motivation:
"Motivation is the inner power that pushes you toward taking action toward achievement. Motivation is powered by desire and ambition; if these two principles are absent then motivation is absent too. You may want something or feel that you want to achieve a certain goal; However if the desire and ambition are not strong enough, you lack the push, the initiative, and the willingness to take the necessary action, your chances of success are limited because your motivation is weak. When there is motivation, there is initiative, direction , courage, energy, and the persistence to follow your goals. "
KEEPING YOURSELF MOTIVATED:
Being motivated means that you are aligned with your goals and values so that you are clear on what is important to you and why it is important to you. This helps in maintaining discipline and focus. In order to do this successfully, take the time to determine those values and prioritize the ones that are most important to you.
Keeping yourself motivated means that you have a clear vision of how you and your life will be different once you achieve your goals. More importantly, you use the visualization to generate the powerful feelings associated with successfully achieving the goal. Developing this important skill will allow you to see yourself implementing those important action steps that you need to take in order to achieve your goal.
Rehearsing, preparation, breaking things down into smaller more manageable steps; becoming more organized, determining what is urgent and non-urgent, and what will become urgent if not addressed, will go a long way towards reducing distraction and embracing the hard work that is needed to get you where you want to go. Using the power of visualization with any one of these steps will keep you focused and enhance your self-motivation.
Keeping yourself motivated requires a high level of self-discipline, self-honesty and self-monitoring to deal with the distractions that can get in your way. In monitoring your thoughts, actions and behaviors you accept the fact that you alone are accountable and responsible for the outcome of your success.
Motivated people are able to do what needs to be done, without influence from other situations or people. They do not give up when challenged, as they are able to rely on their own strength, reason and resilience. Although you can certainly benefit from encouragement and support, at the end of the day your achievement of success will come down to your inner abilities. To be self-motivated means that there is no outside force or person pushing you to become what you want to. The locus of control is within you and not based on others.
MAKE THE EFFORT TO GET MOTIVATED:
Take the effort to make sure that you are completely absorbed and laser-focused in what you are doing by following these important principles:
- Take care of your distractions – pay attention to what trips you up and gets in the way of you achieving success
- Take the time to find ways to quiet the mind; slowing down and listening to the voice within goes a long way to helping you to know what is important
- Mirror and copy role models. The fact is that success leaves clues and guidelines for you to follow. Implement and do what successful people do.
JUST A FEW SELF-MOTIVATION TIPS:
Here are a few tips to aid you in staying motivated:
1. Fill your mind with positive information, visual aids, pictures, words of encouragement and quotes; read, listen and view information that feeds your mind and helps you to stay focused on what you want to achieve.
2. Surround yourself with positive people and protect your vibrational energy. Stay away from energy vampires – those negative people who pull you down, drain your energy and deflate your spirit.
3. Pay attention to your self-talk. Ensure that your inner dialogue is positive, supportive, encouraging and stays connected to your wise mind
4. Cultivate laughter and play in your life. What you do with your down-time (scheduling down-time) is just as important as what you do when you are working towards your goals.
5. Hire a Coach or connect to a Mentor – someone who has achieved what you aspire to who can show you the steps to get what you want and where you want to go, as well as hold you accountable.
The whole concept of self-motivation and success lies within you. There is no external force and power that can MAKE you stay motivated. Motivation comes from within you and no one else. We all lose our ability to concentrate and focus from time to time; address those motivational slumps and eliminate the things that distract and take away your focus by making your self-motivation a priority. When your self-motivation is a priority you enhance your overall state of mental health and general sense of wellbeing. You become more self-sufficient and self-reliant, both of which go a long way to boost your confidence and enhance your self-esteem.